Put On Purple for Lupus Awareness

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Review: The Name of the Star


The Name of the Star
The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



Aurora (Rory) is funny, witty, and fills the first few chapters with plenty of character. She is also Southern, which I love cause I am as well a Southerner and can relate to the fish out of water feeling.

"I once met a girl in line at Walmart who told me she was going to be on America's Next Top Model. When I next saw that girl, she was crashing a shopping cart into an old lady's car out in the parking lot. Signs. You have to read them."

"Annoy a Southerner, and we will drain away the moments of your life with our slow, detailed replies until you are nothing but a husk of your former self and that much closer to death."

These sentences had me hooked. I would also like to take this time to express appreciation for the detail put into the non living characters.

I enjoyed Johnson's writing style. The mix of comedy and suspense was captivating.

However I feel we could have done without the beginnings of a love triangle.


View all my reviews

No comments: