Put On Purple for Lupus Awareness

Monday, September 26, 2011

Dystopian Book Challenge *UPDATE*



Originally posted 6/20/11

I was recently on a group on Goodreads and saw a discussion about a dystopian book challenge. I have never taken part in a book challenge so I figured what the heck. Wish me luck!
The challenge entails reading a certain number (depending on what level you choose) of dystopian novels before the end of 2011. Since it was my first time doing this....I decided to choose the easiest level. (Plus I have no idea how many of these novels I will be able to get.)

Level I choose: Asocial– Choose 5 books to read

Dystopia Challenge

Books I Choose:

  1. Nineteen Eighty Four by George Orwell (recently acquired)
  2. Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (re-read)
  3. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K Dick
  4. I Am Legend by Richard Matheson (re-read)
  5. The Road by Cormac McCarthy (recently acquired)
And if any of those fall through (as in I can't get them or can't stomach them) here are some back ups:


For those who do not know the definition of Dystopia, this is the general idea;

I changed my mind. I'm going to read two (or maybe three, or four, or five, or all) of these books:

  1. Feed
  2. The Year of the Flood
  3. The Knife of Never Letting Go
I read the second book in the Newsflesh series (Deadline) but I am only going to count one book from a dystopian series toward my goal of 5 books. So that means if I read Oryx and Crake then I have to read an extra book from the list...so instead of needing just two more books I'd need three. But I really really REALLY want to read Oryx and Crake...ok maybe I will cheat and count it as one of the five along with Year of the Flood...It's my party and I'll cheat if I want to. LOL.

I love the classic dystopian novels with all my heart but there is just too much new dystopia out there plus I got a big book haul for my birthday. Lots of Dystopia there. Some Apocalyptic too...

No comments: