Put On Purple for Lupus Awareness

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Review: The Help

The Help
The Help by Kathryn Stockett

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



I picked up this book because it was the selection of a book club I belonged to, but unfortunately I never got the chance to read it in time. When it was selected for another book club I belong to, I decided to give it another try. Now mind you I really wanted to read it because the summary made it sound so appealing.

The beginning of the story was intriguing and the author did a great job of setting the scene for what Mississippi might have been like for both black and white women. The characters shone through as well-rounded in my opinion and I felt they were each realistic. Not too evil and not too good, except Hilly, that girl seems evil in every bone of her body.

I enjoyed the funny stories about the crazy white ladies and cried when I read the touching moments between maid/lady.

I have to say Celia Foote might have been my favorite character. I loved her personality and naiviete at the inner workings of white lady society. But I did find it hard to believe that a poor girl did not know how to cook. I just wonder what her childhood and upbringing entailed.

Skeeter was also a favorite character. Her growth throughout the book from young woman trying to keep in step with the only friends she has ever known growing up to self assured independent thinker who does not care what others think made me smile.

I felt this book was worth the time spent reading it and even though it is fiction, it represents a pivitol time in US History. Now I want to see the movie in hopes it can live up to my expectations.



View all my reviews

No comments: