Put On Purple for Lupus Awareness

Monday, October 17, 2011

Review: Fallen


Fallen
Fallen by Lauren Kate

My rating: 2 of 5 stars



Imagine Twilight but with Fallen Angels. Yea that is this book in it's most basic form. The ONLY saving grace to keep it from falling into the deadly "Minda's most hated books" category is that Luce is a little less annoying than the Queen of Mary Suedom, Bella Swan. That is not to say they aren't strikingly similar. Both heroines fall in love with a guy while he is basically giving them the cold shoulder. Both heroines gush about how BEAUTIFUL and PERFECT he is... and how irresistibly drawn they are to him. Both heroines are flat and make completely idiotic decisions even though they are supposed to be "oh so intelligent ya know cause they make good grades and stuff".... Lemme just say not all "intellectual girls" fall for the first pretty face that comes their way. BOTH HEROINES ARE STUCK IN A GRIPPING LOVE TRIANGLE!!!!

Seeeeeeeeeeeee.... That and the simplistic writing of both books mark them as THING 1 and THING 2. Impossible to really tell apart unless you understand that the devil is in the details. Thankfully, Lauren Kate didn't try to put sparkles where sparkles don't belong. Although she did put Gold Eye Shadow/Eyeliner on one of the dudes? At least thats how I interpreted it as looking. Now this works when Suzanne Collins does it to a character, Cinna, but you know all those crazy capital people wear weirdo fashion anyways.... OK back to my point. Thank you Lauren Kate for sticking KINDA..... to the whole Angels lusts after women mythos.

The plot didn't really take off and even appear until about the last (checks book really fast) 50 pages. (Bear with me if it appears at a different point in your book...I'm working from the Ebook here.) Then things got interesting but were not explained until the EVIL VILLIANESS unveiled her plot. WHY ARE THEY ALWAYS DOING THAT!?!?!?! Just have your plot in your mind and keep your lips sealed so 1. You don't waste time talking when you should be killing your victim. 2. You don't reveal, make things so easy for the reader!!! Sometimes a challenge is OK Alright, yea, you are right it would make people complain cause they wouldn't know why the villain killed the victim, good point. (Talking to my head voices again)

Now I've heard the next two books are better and I have nothing but time on my hands, so what the heck I'll give it another shot. If I can suffer through the entire depressing....annoying....Facepalm that is Twilight. I can live through this.

Cheers!




View all my reviews

2 comments:

Belle said...

Oh dear. I definitely don't think this book is for me. Twilight, but with angels? No thanks. It was bearable when it was vampires, but I don't know if I can do it again.

Reading Wolf said...

If it is any saving grace I started to read the second book and there seems to be a plot right from the beginning...so maybe it gets better.