Put On Purple for Lupus Awareness

Friday, December 30, 2011

Review: The Emerald Atlas


The Emerald Atlas
The Emerald Atlas by John Stephens

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



Summary from Goodreads:

John Stephens' aptly-titled new fantasy trilogy begins auspiciously with a nimble, fast-paced tale of three siblings. Kate, Michael, and Emma have suffered through ten years of odious orphanage "care"; now they have slipped into the care of the eccentric, disturbingly mysterious Dr. Pym. While exploring their new home, the children discover a magical green book. With that discovery, a decade of tedium dissolves into cascades of dangerous time travel adventures and struggles with a beautiful witch and decidedly less attractive zombielike Screechers. High early reader marks for strong characterization and battle scenes.


My Review:

I finished this right before Christmas so I didn't get a chance to write up a review right away. And I had a bit of trouble during the first few chapters. It didn't seem to catch my attention. But then I found myself drawn into the story. Kate, Michael, and Emma are just like any other trio of siblings. They fight, they squabble, but they love each other so much they can't bear to be parted. Each has there own distinct personality. John Stephens did a great job fleshing out his characters. This book focused mostly on Kate and I assume the next books will deal with Emma and Michael.

I loved the setting. The magical town of Cambridge Falls made me feel like I was right there along with the children. As the action increased I was waiting with every paragraph. I found myself needing to go back a few times because I was reading with such speed. There are a lot of details in this book and the story was wonderful. It wraps up nicely but still leaves you aching for the next book.

Overall, I say young readers, and adults as well, will enjoy this magical tale of three siblings who find out their destiny within the world.



View all my reviews

No comments: